Imagine a producer named “Nick”. Nick has been making music for years and he's good at what he does. But lately, he's been feeling a bit stagnant. His music has started to sound the same and he realizes his growth curve has become almost FLAT. He’s on a creative block and is really unmotivated.
What should Nick do? Force himself to make more music? Maybe…..
But forcing yourself? Sounds boring right?
This is where Nick needs to get out of his comfort zone and challenge himself as a producer in an interesting way!!
So, if you’re like Nick, who’s looking for new inspiration, here are 5 Challenges for you to level up as a Music Producer :
1. No Effect Mixing
1) No effects allowed for mixing
2) No built in synth effects.
3) use only knobs, faders and panning.
1) Better sound selection.
2) Better mixing foundation.
2. One Synth Challenge
1) Make a song using 1 synth only.
2) No samples allowed.
1) Better sound design.
2) Creative sound design.
3. One Sample Challenge
1) Search for weird/funny videos.
2) Rip a specific part.
3) make a whole song out of it.
1) Improve sampling skills.
2) Creative ear candy sounds.
4. 30 Min Challenge
1) Set a time limit of 30 mins.
2) Make a build up and a drop
1) Improve productivity.
2) Skill to produce on the go.
5. 21 Days Challenge
1) Make a drop/chorus everyday.
2) Post it on your Instagram.
3) Do this consistently for 21 days.
1) Improve consistency.
2) level up your social media game.
By embracing new challenges and stepping out of your comfort zone, you can level up your skills and take your music to the next level. If you are a serious producer who’s ready to take your music career to the next level, you should consider joining our NoFace Academy and become a part of frequent production challenges.
- Akrit Thapliyal, Creative Director, NoFace